Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Engine Cowling Continues

Today I continued to work on the engine cowling.  I used Gorilla tape to hold the lower cowling in place.  I then laid the upper cowling in place to see if it fit better.  It does not look like I will have to sand off any additional material under the lower cowling tabs.  I did need to make some adjustment to the front of the upper cowling to get it to fit the lip of the lower cowling.  I also sanded a 12” section of the forward portion of the lower cowling, on both sides, to improve the way the top cowling fit.  I then drilled the top hole in the lower cowling hinges at the firewall and installed clecoes.  I then set the upper cowling back in place.  I used some Gorilla tape to hold it in place.  I am happy with the fit.  With this final sanding and fitting effort the lower cowling now clears the nose gear leg.   Tomorrow I will finish cutting and installing the various hinges.  I will then mark the hole patterns on the hinges and begin drilling for the rivets.