Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Fire Wall Stiffener and Engine Cowling

Today I worked on several different projects. I worked on the firewall stiffener.  I clecoed the stiffener angle and the spacer piece to each other.  I then match drilled the #40 holes into the stiffener angle.  I removed the clecos and cut the spacer into sections by removing the unneeded material.  I then used the microstop to prep the spacers to be riveted to the stiffener. I riveted the pieces together. 
I then started to remove the gascolator bowl.  I had to loosen a machine screw the firewall.  After removing 3-of the 4-screws holding the gascolator bowl in place I determined it was not necessary.  I replaced the screws and installed safety wire.  I then drilled out the rivet in the firewall below the gascolator.  I clecoed the end of the stiffener angle to the firewall below the gascolator.  I moved it into place diagonally on the firewall.  I drilled the upper most hole into the firewall.
I then drilled and clecoed the stiffener to the firewall, starting at the center of the stiffener.  I installed a cleco in  every other hole to hold the stiffener in place.  After drilling all of the holes I removed the stiffener and deburred the firewall.  I then clecoed the stiffener back in place on the firewall and installed the rivets.  I then began to consider the installation of the side skin stiffeners on the left and right side of the fuselage.  After removing the sidewall upholstery and considering the potential benefits I decided not to install these stiffeners at this point in the build.  I can always install them at a later date if I determine they would be of benefit
I then started to work on the cowling hinges and hinge pins.  I cut both sets of side hinges .  I then cut the left and right side hinge pins.  I prepared all of the required hinge pins by bending the ends and cutting them to length.  I also ground the ends of the pins and curved them to follow the profile of the respective hinges.
Next I turned my attention to the engine cowling.  I marked the upper cowling for the holes to be drilled on each side of the propeller opening.  I clamped the sections together and drilled the inner most holes on each side of the opening.  I  clecoed the sections together.  I also clamped the rear edges together and checked the fit.
After installing the 4” hinges on each side of the fuselage engine shelf I clamped the lower cowling in place.
The lower cowl seems to fit pretty well.  I am a little concerned about the way it fits at the lower curve of the fuselage.  I am going to experiment with lowering it 1/16th of an inch on each side to see if it follows the curve a little better.  If it does I will sand the 1/16th of an inch from the bottom of the tab on the lower cowling.  I am planning to use some Gorilla tape to hole it in place.  I can then lay the upper cowling in place and see if it fits.  If all goes well I will begin fitting and drilling the hinges.
I clamped one of the side hinges to the lower cowling.  I then laid the upper cowling in place to see how it looks.  It looks pretty good to me.