Friday, April 5, 2013

Rivet Side Skin Doublers

This afternoon I riveted the side skin doublers and side skin support angles in place.  The first thing I did was get out my big shop vac and cleaned up all of the rivets and drill chips from inside of the fuselage.  They were everywhere.  After vacuuming up the visible debris in the interior area I used some duct tape to attach a piece of flexible conduit to the end of the vacuum hose and vacuumed the debris from the ribs through the lightening holes.  What a process.  When I was finished I started to pull the rivets.  
First I installed the skin support angles with Cherry Max rivets to the mid fuselage channel.  I tapped the spar sleeves back to clear the rivets.  I was a real chore to tap them back into place, but I was able to do so.  I photographed the skin support angles from above.  The photos are not to clear, but they show the angles riveted in place to the channel.


Next I pulled the flush rivets at the bottom edge of the doublers.  All went well.

At this point I pulled the LP4-3 rivets in the field of the skin doublers. 

The last rivets to be pulled were the Cherry Max rivets attaching the sides to the vertical ribs.  All of the rivets for the service bulletin have been pulled.
I then started to chamfer the corners of the gear leg hold brackets.  I marked the corners and used my bench grinder to remove the material.  It is a long, hot process.  I stopped for the evening and will finish tomorrow.