Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Prep For Skin Doublers

This afternoon I started to prep the airplane and the doublers for installation.  I started by marking and drilling the holes in the bottom skin.  This will accommodate a ¼” ratchet extension to make installing and torqueing the bolts a little easier.  The photos are a bit dark but the holes are there.
Next I held the skin doubler to the side of the fuselage and marked its location with a Sharpie.  I used a 1/16” drift punch to punch out the mandrel in all of the rivets to be drilled out.  I then drilled out the rivets on each side of the fuselage.   I clecoed the holes as I drilled them to help keep the skin doubler and the fuselage sides in line.  I also drilled out the rivets holding the side skin support angles attached to the mid fuselage channel.
After drilling out the rivets on the right side of the fuselage I prepped and primed the doubler skins and the side skin support angles.  I deburred the edges and used a Scotch Brite pad and some MEK to clean and prep the surfaces.  I clecoed the primed skin doublers in place on each side of the.  After drilling I removed the skin doubler and deburred the holes and cleaned away any drill chips between the layers of aluminum.
I used the microstop counterskink to prep the small side skin doublers to receive the CS4-4 flush rivets.  I then clecoed the doubler skins in place.  I also clecoed the side skin support angles to the ends of the mid fuselage channels.  I am ready to match drill the side skin support angles and then start pulling the rivets.