Thursday, April 11, 2013

Drill and Prep Wear Plates

Today I continued to work on the Service Bulletin.  I finished chamfering the corners of the outboard gear attach brackets.  They are now ready to be installed.  I deburred the edges of the outboard doubler plates and the outboard wear plates.  Following the directions in the SB I installed them under the mid-channel along with the drill template above the mid-channel.
I match drilled the #30 holes in the drill template through the mid-channel and the plates below.  I removed the drill template and deburred the holes.  I reinstalled the drill template on the other side and did the same thing.
With the template still in place I final drilled the holes to ¼".  I removed the template, vacuumed up the drill shavings and relocated the drill template back to the other side and final drilled the ¼" holes in that side.  
I then followed the instructions and countersunk the bottom side of each wear plate using the cut off bolt in the drill press as suggested.  It worked very well.  I am now ready to reinstall the landing gear.