Friday, March 15, 2013

Hang Engine on Air Frame

Today was a good day and a bad day.  I twisted the Banjo Bolt in two, but I also installed the engine.
I started by removing the springs and the carburetors one by one.  I removed the fuel line clamps and removed the carburetor flanges and installed the drip pans.  I reinstalled all of the components and reassembled the carburetors.  It was pretty straight forward and went well.  I was able to reinstall the carburetors and torque them to the correct values.
Next I worked on the fuel system.  I removed the Banjo Bolts from the top and bottom of the camp block on the compensating tube assembly.  I removed the hose nipple and put it in a plastic bag for safekeeping.  I also removed the fuel jet from the M8x1x17 Banjo Bolt as instructed.  I loosened the clamp block and rotated it 180o on the tube.  I reinstalled the M8x1x27 Banjo Bolt and in attempting to torque  it to the correct value I twisted the bolt in half.  Rats!  I ordered an new bolt from  California Power Systems.  It will be here next Tuesday.
I will have to wait until then to install the fuel hoses to the bottom of the clamp block. 
I then started with the installation of the engine.  I started by bolting and drilling the lower engine mounting bolts through the nose gear upper attachment assembly.  I but an AN3 bolt in the hole on the right side and final drilled the hole on the left to 3/8" dia.  I installed the AN6 bolt with the male rubber washer and steel washer and tightened them with a nut.  I then removed theAN3 bolt from the hole on the right and final drilled the hole 3/8" dia.  I installed the correct AN6 bolt in the hole.  I removed the rubber and steel washers from the left bolt.    
I attached a nylon sling to the prop shaft and passed it through the engine mount ring.  
Using a come-along attached to an eye-hook I screwed into the beam in the garage I hoisted the engine off of the work table. 
I pushed the fuselage into the garage.  By adjusting the engine up or down with the hoist I was able to get it to the right elevation to install the mounting bolts and hardware.  I was able to install the bolts without too much trouble.  I will need to have Arlene help me torque the lower bolts.  I will need to have her hold the bolts inside of the cockpit while I work on them from the engine side.  
The engine in now hanging on the air frame.