Thursday, June 7, 2012

Power Up Skyview

On the way home this evening I purchased a 12V battery to power-up the avionics.  Before testing the avionics I decided to install the fuel tank and attach the filler tube to the turtle deck.  I set the tank in place and proceeded to install and tighten the bolts.  I clecoed the right half of the turtle deck to the fuselage.  After that I put the filler tube on the tank and clecoed the tube flange to the turtle deck.
I will need to mix some Proseal to attach the filler flange to the turtle deck.  I decided to test the avionics.  I used some test leads to hook the batter to the power connection on the backside of the fuse/switch module.  When I made the connection the fan in the control module started up and the Skyview screen came on.  It showed the Dynon logo and then changed to a list of commands.  
I waited for the system to finish booting.  It wasn't long until the map showed up on the screen with a large red 'X' and the warning message "ADAHRS FAIL.  I powered the unit down and tried again.  The same results occurred.  I made the assumption that the Skyview was not detecting the ADAHRS.  
I removed the fuel tank and unbolted the ADAHRS.  I disconnected the D-sub and OAT harness.  Using a small jumper I connected a pair of wires in the D-sub and using my multi-meter I checked the continuity of the wires.  They were fine.  There are 8-wires from the control module to the ADAHRS.  Using the jumper and multi-meter I checked all 8-wires.  They are all good.  
I will call Dynon tomorrow and see if they can suggest a solution.  I covered the instrument area with some plastic sheet to keep the area clean.