Thursday, August 19, 2010

Right Wing Tip and Nav/Strobe light

I riveted the right wing tip close out and checked the alignment of the rear closeout piece to make sure it was parallel with the wing. I pulled all of the rivets on the lower wing tip.

Next I proceeded to prepare the nav/strobe light fairing to mount on the wing tip. I trimmed the fairing to the scribe line. I also removed the cut out on the flat surface of the fairing where the molex connection passes thru into the wing tip cavity.
I installed the nav/strobe light bracket to the fairing by clamping the bracket in place over the dimpled spots and then match drilling the #27 holes. I then installed the bracket.
I drilled the dimples in the flanges of the wing tip fairing, then I held it in place on the wing and matched drilled the #30 holes into the wing tip rib and the bottom skin of the wing tip. I installed clecoes as I drilled to keep the fairing aligned.
I fabricated the nav/strobe ground wire and installed in on the wing tip. Next I installed the molex connectors to the wing wiring and the nav/strobe lighting fixture. I tested the light fixture to make certain it was wired correctly. I worked just fine.
I temporarily installed the nav/strobe light to the wing tip fairing. I looks great. I will need to mix some fiberglass resin with flox and fill the recess between the fairing and the actual wingtip.