Friday, August 20, 2010

Finished Right Wing Nav/Strobe Fairing and Riveted Top Skin Left Wing


I mixed some Bondo with some cotton flox and applied it to the flange of the fiberglass nav/stobe light fairing that attaches to the right wing tip rib.  I spread some automobile wax on the wing tip and clecoed the fairing in place.  I allowed the Bondo to set for about 1 hour then removed the fairing from the wing tip.  It came off very easily.  I sanded and drilled out the Bondo from the previously drilled holes in the edge of the fairing and clecoed it in place.  It is ready to be installed with pro-seal.  I will wait until I have both fairings ready to install before I mix any pro-seal.
This evening was another 'Airplane Party'.  I invited the Suttons and Hank and Tina and their kids to come and have some pizza and soda pop and pull some rivets if they felt inclined to do so.  Kerri brought Tim and Taylor and a really good friend, Heather and her two little kids.  Hank and Tina brought Mikeel and Ethon.   All seemed to have a good time.  Earlier in the day I placed the top skins on the left wing and installed the clecoes.  
Everyone that wanted to took a turn pulling rivets.  We were able to complete the riveting of the upper skin and then moved the left wing from the wing rack to the work table so I can install the wing tip and nav/strobe light fairing.  Things are progressing nicely.