Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Landing Light, Flaperon Brackets, Top Right Wing Skin

Today I accomplished a lot on the right wing. Yesterday the new landing light lens arrived. This morning I pre-cut it to size. I held it in place inside of the wing skin and match drilled the upper attachment holes. I clecoed the lens in place and match drilled the lower attachment holes. I marked it and cut it to size on the band saw.
I sanded the edges, deburred the holes, and used the countersink to dimple the holes to match the wing skin. I installed the lens in the wing. I also riveted the light attachment brackets into the wing behind the lens opening. I crimped the molex connectors to the various wires. Female connectors to the landing light and pulse light wires in the wing and male connectors to the wires on the landing light. I then installed the light unit and hooked up the molex connector. I tested the light with my 12 volt battery pack and it works. Both the landing light circuit and the wig-wag feature.
Next I clecoed and riveted the flaperon rib doublers and hinge brackets onto the corresponding ribs and rear spar.
I removed the blue film from the upper skins and clecoed them in place. I am almost ready to start riveting the upper skins on the right wing.