Friday, December 19, 2014

Work on Radiator Shutter

I continued to work on the radiator shutter.  Using the pattern I cut out the shutter.  I also made the pivots out of some 3/8” aluminum rod.  I made the actuator arm for the top pivot from some flat aluminum.  I marked where the pivots are to go on the top and bottom of the shutter.  I also drilled for the screws on the lower pivot.

I marked and drilled the location of the holes on the top and bottom of the duct.  I fabricated some aluminum washers using a hole saw and drilled the center to 7/16” then riveted the bottom washer to the floor of the duct.  I installed the upper washer to the top of the duct and installed the shutter.  I am satisfied with the way it fits and turns in the duct.
I broke the actuator arm so I fabricated a new arm from a piece of aluminum angle and a piece of aluminum flat bar.  I drilled the angle and bar and riveted them together.  I drilled a hole in the angle and bolted it to the upper pivot.  I will cut the actuator arm to length and drill the hole for the cable swivel after the swivels arrive from Wicks Aircraft Supply.  With the arm in place the shutter opens and closes just fine.

I also took the shutter to 3D Sheet Metal and had them put a break from the top to the bottom pivot points.  The shutter is now much stronger.  Before breaking the shutter I was afraid the air blowing through the duct would bend and deform the shutter.  I also installed stops (angle) to control the open and closed positions of the shutter. I will work on the control cables next week.