Monday, December 22, 2014

Oil Shutter and Radiator Damper

This morning I went to the hangar and worked on the oil shutter and radiator damper modification.  I started by shortening the top pivot shaft on the damper door.  I also reduced the length of the arm on the damper control.  I then fabricated a mounting angle for the controls.  I painted the angle black and mounted it below the master switch module under the instrument shelf.  
I also drilled two holes in the firewall next to the brake fluid resivour and installed some grommets for the control cables to pass through.  I installed the lower cowl and determined a path for a section of 3/8” tubing to pass through in the cooling duct.  I installed the duct with Adel clamps.  I also installed a section of tubing through the firewall for the radiator shutter control to pass through.  I installed the tubing and the control cables. 

I also labeled the control knobs.  With the controls pushed in the oil shutter and radiator damper and both open.  By pulling the control knobs the shutter and damper close.  I put some high temp red RVT over the grommets and controls cables where they penetrate the firewall.  I will install the control wire swivel connections tomorrow if they come in the mail today.