Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Good News To Report

The cable swivels arrived in the mail yesterday afternoon.  I went out to the hangar this morning and installed them.  The control arm on the oil shutter was thin enough that the swivel installed with only drilling a hole.  I cut the control wire to the right length and installed the swivel.  I have the controls arranged so with the control knobs pushed all of the way in the oil shutter and duct damper door are open.  
Pulling the 'OIL' control knob less than an inch closes the shutter.  I then installed the swivel on the air duct damper.  It took a little more work.  The material I used for the control arm was too thick to allow the swivel to turn.  I removed the arm and put it in my bench vise.  I used my Vixon file to reduce the tickness of a section of the control arm.  I deburred the arm with my Scotch Brite wheel and drilled a hole.   I reinstalled the arm and installed the swivel.  By pulling the 'AIR' control knob about 1-3/4” it closes the damper door.  I reinstalled the top cowling and finished installing the screws on the lower cowling.  I then pulled the  airplane out of the hangar and went up for a test flight.  To my joy and satisfaction as soon as I started the engine and closed the oil shutter the oil temp began to rise.  I finished buckling in and started to taxi to the end of the runway.  To my amazement, by the time I arrived at the end of runway 34 the oil temp was at 124o.  It started at 40o.  About half way to the runway I closed the air duct damper door.  I think that also helped to raise the oil temperature.  I took off and flew for 0.8 hours.  With minor adjustments to the shutter and damper door the oil and head temperatures were right where they should be.  The OAT was -2o C.  I am pleased with the results.