Thursday, December 4, 2014

AOA Calibration

I discovered as I landed on my last flight that the AOA widget was no on the instrument screen.  It was located next to the speed tape but is no longer there.  I have determined that when I uploaded the file from Van’s it removed the AOA readout.  I went up today to recalibrate the AOA.  To do so you must do at least 1-stall (preferably more than one).  I flew out over the evaporation ponds and turned south.  I climbed to 7200’ and set up for a fast cruse.  After oscillation the airplane per the instructions on the calibration screen I performed a ‘clean’ stall.  I then proceeded to perform a ½ flap stall and then a full flap stall.  I saved the data and the AOA is once again visible and calibrated.  I also discovered my transponder was not transmitting.  A guard helicopter pilot told me I was not showing up on his instruments or on the Salt Lake tower instruments.  I realized that the transponder still had STBY in the display.  It was on standby.  I went into the transponder menu and hit ALT.  The transponder came to life and began transmitting my altitude and also began receiving information from other aircraft transponders.  When I got back on the ground and to the hangar I did some research.  It turned out that my transponder software needed to be upgraded.  I proceeded to do so and then went into the setup menu and selected AUTO GND/ALT.  It is now supposed to automatically switch between ground and altitude. I will check that out tomorrow.  Also, for the past couple of flights the tach is jumping around at 4800 RPMs and higher.  I keep getting a yellow warning and the RPMs are over 5500.  I did some research and have found this problem is not new.  Others have installed a 30K Ohm resister in the line from the engine and it has solved the problem.  I will get a resistor and install it tomorrow and see what happens.