Monday, September 1, 2014

Servo Wiring

Today I checked the continuity of the servo wiring.  I referenced the wiring schematic and determined where the wires went from the servos to the AV5000 control module.  Because I started building the airplane before the SkyView system was available the original wiring was for the D180.  When I ordered the avionics the SkyView was the only system available.  I had to install the conversion wiring harnesses to make the system work correctly.  That means the wires go through the harnesses and are divided up before they reach the control module.  
I traced the wires to both the “Options” and “Autopilot” Sub-D connectors.  I removed the connectors from the control module.  
I also removed the seat inspection panel  and using my muli-meter began checking continuity.  I checked the harness and found continuity to the Sub-D connectors except for the black/white and orange wires.  Because the roll servo is wired through the pitch servo I checked continuity on these wires from the pitch servo to the roll servo.  There was continuity on both.   Again I checked and confirmed there was no continuity on these wires from the Sub-D connector to the pitch servo.  The drawings show the orange wire terminating at pin 4 in the connector and the black/white wire terminating at pin 3.  By checking the pins I discovered the pins are reversed.  The black/white wire terminates and pin 4 and the orange wire terminates at pin 3.  I checked the continuity through these circuits.  They are good.  I have emailed Vans and Dynon to see if I should leave these pins as they are or switch them.  It seems to me that because there is continuity in all of the wires, I am getting 12.+ V in the red wire (power) and because the pitch servo functions properly  the roll servo must be bad.  I hope to hear from Dynon soon.