Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Two Days of Flying

Yesterday and today I went up for 2+ hours each day.  Yesterday I took off from South Valley Regional and did 3-touch-and-goes.  I then flew to the Tooele valley and did 2-more touch-and-goes at the Tooele airport.  From there I flew south over the city and into the Cedar Valley.  I flew to the south side of the valley and there I calibrated the AOA (angle of attack).  To do so I needed to establish a fast cruise and then fly some +5 deg /-5 deg maneuvers to give the AOA a base line.  I then performed 3-different stalls.  The first stall was clean, no flaps.  The second was a stall with 1 notch of flaps.  The third stall was full flaps.  After completing each stall I pushed the “stall” button on the SkyView.  I now have the AOA widget on the PFD next to the airspeed tape.  It is really great to see that I have sufficient lift to fly.  Or in other words, I am not exceeding the angle of attack. 
Today I flew down to Delta.  I used the autopilot.  I entered a very small flight plan with 2-waypoints.  The first was the Nephi airport and the second was the Delta airport.  I turned on the autopilot and activated the flight plan (HSI & ALT).  The airplane performed flawlessly.  After reaching Delta I switched to altitude and heading hold (TRK & ALT).  I flew down to Holden, over to Scipio and back up through Nephi and back to South Valley Regional.  What a fun time I had.  I took a picture of Cedar Valley over Fairfield Peak.