Thursday, August 28, 2014

Oil Pressure Sender

The oil pressure sender I ordered from Lockwood Aviation arrived this afternoon.  I went to the airport to install it on the RV-12.  When I got there I cut the wire to the existing Honeywell sensor/sender.  I stripped the end of the wires and pushed them through the new cable attachment.  There are 3 wires in the oil pressure sensor cable but only 2-wires are used.  The red and white wires.  I cut the black wire short and put some heat shrink over the end of the cable.  After installing the connector I used the heat gun to shrink the wrap. 
I installed the sensor in the Adel clamp, plugged the newly installed connector to the sensor and fired up the SkyView.  No Joy!  I checked the continuity of the wires from the original connector to the control module.  Both the red and white wires were good.  I checked the continuity from the connector to the new pressure sensor and found no connectivity in the red wire.  In fact when I held the original spade connectors in my hand the red wire fell free from the female spade connector.  I striped the wire and crimped on a new female spade connector and the problem was solved.  I pulled the airplane out to the apron and started the engine.  The oil pressure immediately came to 58 psi.  As the engine warmed it dropped a few pounds but I am sure that has to do with the increased viscosity of the oil as the engine warmed up.  I ran the RPMs to 4,000 and the oil pressure remained constant.  I believe the jumpy oil pressure readings are now solved.  While waiting for an answer from Dynon I will return to the airport tomorrow and use my multi-meter to check the continuity of the servo wiring from the Control Module to the roll servo location.