Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Oil Pressure and Fuel Pressure Anomalies

The last time I went flying the fuel pressure continued to be high.  It bounces between the yellow and red alert on the SkyView.  Also, the oil pressure began to jump around while I was flying.  I called Lockwood Aviation and they confirmed that moving the oil pressure sensor to the firewall usually corrects the problem.  I have ordered an 'RV-12 Oil Pressure Sensor Relocation Kit.'  I will install it when it arrives.  I also did considerable checking on the forum.  It appears I am not the only one to have high fuel pressure readings.  I called Dynon and we checked to make sure the software and set up were correct.  They are.  I purchased a low pressure fuel gauge from O’Reily Auto Parts and hooked it to the fuel pressure sensor line.  It reads the same as the Dynon.  Because of that I decided to mount my electric fuel pump switch on the instrument panel.  
I installed the switch in the power wire (red) to the fuel pump.  I cut a hole in the instrument panel and installed the switch.  I then purchased some ‘white print on black’ tape for my P-Touch Label Maker and printed a label for the switch.  Now when the fuel pressure gets too high I can turn off the electric fuel pump.

I also painted the inside of the fuel tank cap red.