Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Roll Servo

I removed the sevo from the mounting bracket in the tail cone.  After looking at the wires and connectors again I removed the servo from the airplane. 

I also removed the seat area inspection cover to expose the pitch servo which is located under the pilot seat.  Since the day I started flying the airplane I have had a caution message which reads “STANDYBY NETWORK ERROR.”  I have researched it several times and decided since it is a caution concerning a secondary communications back-up for the servos I could fly without it.  In researching the servo wiring  I found a statement that I must have read and understood incorrectly when I installed the servo wiring.  There are 2-wires on each servo that are to be left disconnected if the system is a D180.  My system is the SkyView D1000.  The wires should have been connected from the beginning.  Since they are called out as xxxx-a and xxxx-b at the control module I began to think they may be part of the STANDBY NETWORK ERROR problem I am experiencing.  I connected the wires at the pitch servo and switched on the SkyView.  To my great relief, the STANDBY NETWORK ERROR message did not come on.  I think that problem is now understood and solved.  I reinstalled the seat inspection cover and the carpeting.  I turned my attention to the roll servo.  After removing the servo from the airplane I took it to UPS and had them send it to Dynon Avionics.  It is to be delivered to Dynon on Friday the 29th.  I emailed Dynon Tech Support the following message:

I have an RV-12 with the SkyView system.  I removed the servo today and shipped it to your facility by UPS ground.  It is to be delivered on Friday, August 29th.  I believe the servo is bad because:
1.      In the RV-12 the roll servo is wired through the pitch servo.  The pitch servo is working properly.
2.       I checked all of the connections on both servos and the spade connectors are all properly seated and the crimps are solid.
3.       I have 12.+V power at the roll servo.
I appreciate your assistance with this issue. Please let me know your findings as soon as you are able. 


I received an email back from Steve at Dynon Tech Support thanking me of the information.  Steve  said he would add it to the work order.