Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Roll Servo Error

Today I called Lockwood Aviation to let them know I did an oil pressure test with a mechanical gauge and the oil pressure is good.  The electronic sensor no longer registers on the SkyView.  Lockwood is going to send a new Honeywell replacement kit.  I should have it by the end of the day on Thursday the 28th.  After that I returned to the airport to see if I could make any progress towards the Roll Error message on the SkyView.   Over the last couple of flights I have had  a ROLL ERROR message on the SkyView screen.  The roll servo is not coming on.  I emailed Dynon Tech Support and told them what has happened.  That the servo was intermittently coming on but as of now it won’t come on at all.  A tech responded by telling me to contact them on Monday the 25th to make arrangements for a “Cross Ship” servo replacement.  I called Monday morning and the tech I spoke to suggested I do some checking to see if it is a wiring problem.  I started by disconnecting and removing the oil pressure test equipment.  I also called Dynon to report to them that I had the red X through the oil pressure gauge on the SkyView screen and to let them know I have ordered a new oil pressure sensor from Lockwood Aviation.  I was told I did the right thing.  I asked if the red X could be the result of the sensor going bad.  The tech said it means the values being sent by the oil pressure sensor do not register with the SkyView.  What kind of answer is that? 
Anyway, I removed the fuselage upper skin and the baggage area bulkhead.  I also removed the seats and rear carpet and upholstery. 

I climbed into the baggage area where I had access to the roll servo.  I checked the power to the servo and discovered there is 12.+ volts power to the servo.  I also looked at and pulled on the connectors.  All seem to be in order.  I also pulled the sub-d connector at the AV5000 and all of the connectors seem to be in place there also.  I called Dynon and spoke with Mike, the tech that said I should check the wiring and not just assume the servo is bad.  I told him what I have done and he is going to email me an RMA# (return materials authorization #) so I can return the servo to be checked.  This is a little different than I anticipated, but at least maybe I am going to get a solution to my servo problem.