Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Taxi Test, Compass Calibration, First Flight

Today was a red letter day!  I started by driving out the to the Tooele Airport to do the taxi test and calibrate the compass.  Both went very well.  I did the various  taxi procedures and all went well.  I prepped the airplane and then did both.  After the procedures were complete I put the airplane back in its parking place and went home. 
The weather cooperated so at 6:45 pm Arlene and I left home and drove to Tooele.  We got there about 7:30 pm.  The winds were light, 030 at 5 kts.  There was no traffic reporting during our trip out or while we were getting ready to fly.  I prepped the airplane, showed Arlene how to use the handheld radio and got in.  I started the engine and everything was in the green.  I taxied out to the run up area, announced “Experimental 41 niner Alpha Juliet taking runway 35 for a first flight. Will remain in the area.”  
I taxied out to the threshold, advanced the throttle and started down the runway.  In no time I was at 55 kts and gently pulled back on the stick.  I was air born almost immediately.  What a sensation.  I flew for 0.5 hours on the Hobbs meter and made 1-touch and go and 1-full stop landing.  Right after that a Cessna made a touch and go then he was gone. 
Arlene took some photos of my touch and go but they are long distance and hard to see the airplane.  She took some photos of me taxying back to the parking spot. She did take a picture of my RV GRIN!  Today was a GREAT DAY!