Friday, November 4, 2011

Fuel Tank Lid and Filler Flange

 
This evening I worked on the tank lid.  I marked and match drilled the holes in the filler flange into the tank lid.  I marked and cutout the inside hole in the tank lid where the filler flange will attach.  I deburred the holes in the tank lid and deburred the edges of the new opening in the tank lid.  I also used a Scotch Brite pad to prep all of edges of the tank lid on the top and the bottom so I can seal the lid to the tank.
 
 
The next step was to cut and bend the ¼" fuel return line.  I cut a piece of line and flared the end.  I used a fuel tubing fitting to attach the return line to the fitting in the bottom of the tank.  I used my tubing bender to bend the ¼" line so it was just under the lid.  It runs from the front of the tank to the center of the filler flange then turns up in the center of the flange.   I fabricated 2-clips to secure the fuel return line to the underside of the tank lid.

 
I clecoed the various parts together to make sure everything fits together properly.  Now I need to clean all of the surfaces with MEK, mix some Pro-Seal and attach the top to the tank, the filler flange to the top and the sender and support ring to the front of the tank.