Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Fuel Tank Filler Tube

This evening I moved the work table and fuselage onto the driveway and opened the canopy.  I removed the hose from the fuel line fittings under the tank and sat the tank in place behind the passenger seat.  I temporarily installed some bolts to hold the tank in place.

 
 
After setting the tank in place I clecoed the right turtle deck skin to the fuselage.  I did not install the rear window because I need to be able to reach inside of the fuselage to work on the tank and the filler neck.  I assembled the filler tube into the rubber coupling on the tank lid flange previously drilled and prepared.  I used a crescent wrench to tweak and bend the flange on the filler tube to get the best fit possible to the turtle deck skin.
 
I installed the gas cap in the filler neck and then proceeded to match drill and cleco the flange on the filler neck to the turtle deck skin.  I then marked and traced a circle around the tank lid filler flange onto the top of the tank lid.  I then disassembled everything and took the tank into the shop so I can cut a hole in the top and match drill the holes in the filler flange.