Monday, August 22, 2011

Trim Canopy


 
 
This evening I began to trim the canopy to fit correctly.  Along the bottom edges on both side I had to remove about 1/8" of material.  I also needed to remove some of the forward edge at the instrument panel as well as some material along the aft edge at the rear window.  The front corners also needed some work.  I had marked all of these areas with a marker previously.  This evening I removed the canopy bubble and started sanding the edges.  I attached a section of 40 grit sanding belt to a piece of 1x4.  This worked pretty well for removing small areas.  I ended up using my angle grinder with an 80 grit sanding disk to really remove some material.  I finished the edges by changing to 150 and then 320 grit sand paper. I will need to revisit a couple of areas to smooth them out.  

 
 
I put drafting tape along the front bow of the canopy frame.  By pushing down on the canopy bubble it leaves a darker mark along the tangent line of the bubble and the bow.  This is the line that the holes will be laid out on for the rivets to hole the canopy in place.  The canopy seems to fit fine now and I am ready to move to the next step.