Friday, August 26, 2011

Canopy Skirts and Latch

 
This evening I removed the canopy skirts from the sides of the canopy.  I removed the blue vinyl film and deburred the holes and prepped them with a Scotch Brite pad.  I also deburred the holes on the canopy frame.  After prepping the skirts I dimpled the first 5-holes on each side per the instructions.  I also countersunk the first 5-holes on each side of the canopy frame.

 
 
Next I curved the forward upper edge of each skirt to match the shape of the fuselage profile and the canopy bubble.  I reclecoed them in place to make sure the profile was acceptable.

 
 
 
I made a small fixture to drill the canopy latch exterior handle and the latch tube.  I glued and screwed a piece of 1x4 to the edge of a 2x4.  I used my square to mark a line on the fixture so I could mount the exterior handle vertically on the drill press table.  I clamped the handle to the fixture and drilled a #30 hole through the upper part of the handle.  I then inserted the latch handle tube into the hole on the exterior handle and drilled through the tube.  I then removed the tube and drilled an additional ¾" into the body of the handle.
 
I final drilled a #19 hole in the upper part of the exterior handle and the latch handle tube.  I also put a countersink in the exterior handle for a #8 screw.  I now need to tape the hole in the body of the exterior handle with an 8-32 tap.  If I have one I cannot find it so I will need to buy a new tape.