Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Attach Canopy Frame

 
 
 
This evening I attached the canopy frame to the fuselage.  I started by installing the upper fuselage skin over the instrument area.  I put a screw in every other hole across the top and screws in each hole along the edges and down the side of the fuselage.  I installed bolts and bushings thru the gas struts and the frame pivot points.  I had to put a washer behind the canopy frame at the left pivot point in order to get the frame to clear the upper fuselage skin.   Everything seems to fit just right.

Next I cut pieces of 1/8" thick cardboard to match the longerons on each side of the fuselage.  I used tape to hold the cardboard in place.  

 
I lowered the canopy frame down and used clamps to install the spacer blocks between the rear canopy bow and the roll bar structure.  I also checked the space between the forward bow and the upper fuselage skin.  It is supposed to be 7/16".  It is correct at the edges but at the center upper part of the bow it is a full 9/16".  I will need to somehow bend the bow so it is at the correct distance across the fuselage.