Friday, November 14, 2014

Radio Whine Problems Explored

For the past couple of months I have had a problem with a whine on the radio.  It became more apparent over the last few weeks as I have attempted to play music over the intercom.  I have contacted Vans in the past with little response.  Yesterday I sent the following to Vans Tech Support:

Date sent:           Wed, 12 Nov 2014 10:41:57 -0700
Subject:               Radio Whine

I have a whine on the pilot and co-pilot headsets.  I am using
Lightspeed Sierra ANR headsets for both.  The whine becomes worse with increased RPMs.

If I turn the volume down on the headsets so the whine is not
bothersome and I turn up the volume on the radio (Garmin SL-40) I can
hear radio communications.  However, at that point I cannot hear the
SkyView annunciations.  If I turn the volume up on the headsets to
hear the SkyView announcements the whine is back. 

I have checked the ground on the headsets, the ground on the radio and
the ground on the engine to the airframe.  All are good.  I have even
added a wire connecting the intercom case, the radio case and the
SkyView case as suggested on a Dynon forum.  Nothing so far has
worked.  Do you have any suggestions as to how to increase volume on
the SkyView or eliminate the whine altogether?

Thanks for your help,

Sam Jespersen
120347
N419AJ

Ken Scott responded with:

This may be the result of a known problem...but we'll need the serial number on your AV5000 "box" to know for sure...


Today I went to the hangar and started to take the airplane apart one more time.  I removed the upper fuselage skin.  I have discovered I can remove the skin without completely removing the canopy.  That is a good thing.  I removed the AV5000A and recorded the serial number.  I also took a photo of the label and sent it to Ken.  I am waiting for a reply.  I left the upper fuselage cover off for now and covered the area with plastic.  With the cold weather it is possible to have some interior condensation rain and I would hate for some moisture to get into the instrument area.