Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Flight Tune Auto Pilot

Today I went flying to ‘flight tune’ the AP.  Since downloading and installing the Version 11 SkyView update from Vans along with the AP presets on the Vans download site I have been having an AP problem.  When I engage the AP I get a ROLL SLIP message.  Normally that means the servo does not have enough force to control the flaperons.  It only occurs when I am flying straight and level.  That is when the least amount of force is required.  When in a turn the roll servo functions correctly, but when the airplane rolls out of the turn and returns to straight and level flight the ROLL SLIP message returns.  It is only displayed momentarily then goes out, only to return for a few seconds over and over again.  I went through the AP ‘flight tune’ process and it turns, climbs or descends and holds  altitude but I continually get the ROLL SLIP message when AP is on and I have selected TRK+ALT or HSI+ALT.  I have checked on the Dynon Forum and I think I will return to the airport and adjust the roll axis settings.  I am going to reduce the roll sensitivity and see if that takes care of it.  Right now the sensitivity is set at 20+.  I will reduce it to 5 and see what happens.  If that does not correct the problem I will take some screen shots of the settings and of the ROLL SLIP message screen and send them to Dynon.  While flying today out over the west desert I took some photos as I neared the Salt Flats.