Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Rework the Rear Window and Turtle Deck

Today I discovered that there were small puddles of ice all over the hangar floor.  Because it was a little warmer today and the sun was shining there was some condensation in the hangar.  When it is soo cold at night, and as cold as it has been during the day, the moisture in the air freezes to the bottom side of the roof sheets.  When the air warms up a little and the sun shines on the metal roof panels, the frozen moisture on the bottom of the panels melts, runs to an edge of the roof corrugation and falls to the floor as rain drops.  Because the floor is still so cold the water freezes into a little ice puddle.  I found drops on the instrument shelf, in the engine area, on the work bench and on the drawings.  I cut some plastic and put it over the forward end of the airplane.  I also put some plastic over the drawings.
I removed the rear window.  I removed the paper protecting the inside surface of the window and then reinstalled the window on the fuselage.  I clecoed it in place.  I also removed the paper from the exterior surface of the window.  I reinstalled the left turtle deck.  With the paper gone it is not easy to see the lexan window but it is there.  I need to weather to continue to moderate so I can mix some Pro-Seal and install the window with fasteners.  It will be the 1st day of winter in 4 more days.  I think it will remain cold for a long time yet.