Thursday, December 26, 2013

Door Sweep and Remove Fuel Tank

Earlier this week I spoke with Ernie Patey.  Ernie told me Van’s is going to send out a Service Bulletin about the new fuel tank vent.  I emailed Van’s and was told a Service Bulleting and a kit would be out next month (January).  I decided not to seal in the rear window until I have been able to make the tank modification.  It is easier to remove and install the tank with the rear window removed.  Accordingly I removed the right turtle deck and removed the clecoes on the right side of the rear window.  I removed the fuel tank.  I have also decided to install the mechanical fuel gauge.  I will order that from Van’s next week.  I’m becoming proficient at removing and reinstalling the fuel tank.
I also decided to do something about the dust and snow that collect in the hangar when the wind blows.  Dennis King, the guy who has the hangar next to mine told me he considered installing a brush type door seal on the bottom of the hangar door to keep the dust, weeds and snow from blowing in under the door.  Dennis has not installed such a device on his hangar  but I thought I would put a sweep on my hangar door.  I contacted Sterling Smith at 3-D Sheet Metal and asked him if he would make some 24 ga galvanized trim for me.  He agreed to do so of course so I had him fabricate 42 lf of ‘Z’ trim.  I screwed the trim to the bottom rail of the hangar door.  I also ordered 6-each 7’ long pieces of aluminum brush type door sweep.  I screwed the sweep to the ‘Z’ trim and now I have a very effect seal on the bottom of the hangar door.  It should go a long way in keeping snow and debris out of the hangar.