Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Replace Upper Fuselage Cover and Fit Glare Shield

I started to do some work on the airplane again.  During the move the 3-stooges managed to rip the edge of the upper fuselage cover over the instrument shelf.  Somehow in opening the canopy, the canopy arms caught the edge of the cover and in the process of bending it up, the over tore.
I ordered a new piece from Van’s along with a Glare Shield for the RV-12.  I drilled out the rivets holding the instrument panel support angles and removed them.  I dimpled the new cover and clecoed the support angles to the rear edge.  I put it in place on the fuselage and attached it with clecoes.  I need to install the rivets and the replacement will be complete. 
Next I decided to fit the glare shield.  I used some clamps to hold the glare shield in place on the canopy bow.  It fits like it was designed to go there.  I will drill the 2-holes for the rivets.  Because I can’t spray paint at the hangar I am taking the glare shield home and will spray paint it flat black then install it sometime in the future.
I also took a few moments to visit Tom Driscol at his hanger.  Tom is nearing completion of his RV-12.  I am anxious to see it watch as he gets it into the air.