Thursday, July 4, 2013

Move Airplane to Hangar

Over the last couple of days I have made some changes and started the final move to the hangar.  On the 3rd I had Cal Hansen an electrical contractor we use in our business install a new light fixture in the hangar.  It is a 6-tube high output fluorescent fixture with much improved overall lighting.  I also had him add an additional 4-gang duplex outlet for my drill press, band saw and grinder. 
On the 4th my grandsons, Tim, Cameron and Kaleb helped me move the airplane to the hangar.  I brought home the 16’ flatbed trailer from work. The first thing we did was install the canopy and vertical stabilizer.  We loaded the fuselage, tool boxes, compressor and a work table on the trailer.  We then headed for the airport.
At the airport we were greeted by several individuals sitting around one of the hangars.  They came own to see what we were doing then left without saying anything.  We began the task of unloading everything.  We took off the table, compressor and tool boxes and put them inside the hangar.  Then the boys decided to roll the fuselage off of the trailer.  I had some 2x6’s to use as ramps.  They thought they had the ramps lined up OK, but half way down the right main started to roll of the edge of one of the 2x6’s.  They pushed the airplane back up the ramp, realigned the ramps and started over.  The same thing happened again.  I told them it was like watching the 3 Stooges at work.  They were finally able to get things lined up OK and the fuselage came down without any further problems.  We pushed it into the hangar, closed the door and went back for the wings.

We were able to move them to the hangar and unload without any incidents.  There are still a few things back at home that need to come out, but I will take care of that next week and hopefully begin to build again.  
While unloading the wings we had several pilots with adjoining hangars stop by to see the RV-12 and make comments and suggestions.  They were all great guys and I think this is going to be a good experience.  I learned from them that Tom Driscol has also moved into a hangar at the south end of the airport.  Tom and I have been working at about the same pace in constructing our 12’s.  I will need to go pay him a visit an see how he is coming.  He has moved ahead of me in the build and will have his bird in the air before I fly mine.