Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Install Nose Gear and Wheels

Today I installed the wheels on the main gear and installed the nose gear and nose wheel.  It was a great day.  I moved Arlene's car onto the driveway and pulled the airplane into the open area of the garage.  Because the "creeper" I purchased to help me work under the fuselage, I spread a moving pad on the floor slab under the airplane and spent the morning getting up and down and under the airplane.  I set up a couple of work tables and brought out the tools, wheels, plans and other supplies and got to work.  I dismantled the disk brake assembly to the point that I could install the appropriate components on the gear leg.  I started by installing the axel on the right gear leg.  I also installed the disk brake assembly using the same bolts.  I was sure to install the correct caliper on the correct gear leg.  I made sure the brake fluid bleed valve was on the bottom of the caliper assembly.
After installing the axels on both gear legs I taped on the spacer blocks and stretched a string across the gear legs.  It turns out the axels and parallel and there is no need for shims.
Using the tool I purchased a couple of years ago I greased the roller bearings for each wheel.  I used Areoshell 5 as called out in the drawings.  I then installed the main gear wheels on the axels.  I tightened the nuts as instructed in the Matco documents and inserted the cotter pins. 
I then turned my attention to the nose gear.  I worked on the nose gear fork.  I tapped the holes and inserted the cap screws and washers as instructed.  I used the microstop to countersink the nose gear fork for the proper rivets.  I then separated the anti-rotation plates and riveted them to the nose gear fork.
I installed the axel through the nose wheel and bolted the assembly in the fork.  I used the luggage scale to calibrate the tension of the front wheel fork on the nose gear.  I had to tighten the nut quite a bit to get the 26 lbs force to turn the wheel.  
After the installation of the gear was complete I removed the saw horses and set the airplane on its wheels.  I feel really good about that.
I rolled the airplane out onto the driveway, moved Arlene's car back into the garage and turned the airplane around before putting it away.