Thursday, January 12, 2012

Retest Fuel Tank

 
It has been a week since I reassembled the fuel tank.  The Pro-Seal is cured and I will now proceed to retest the tank for leaks.  The leak potential is of course the at the new attachment clips and at the reinstalled sending unit attachment plate.  I reattached the filler tube at the top of the tank with the rubber coupling and compression bands.  I also used a Scotch Brite pad on the inside of the filler neck flange.  I had previously ground down a small blob of weld on the inside of the tube flange and I wanted to make sure the inside of the flange where the cap sits was smooth.  It is.
 
 
I installed the air valve and rubber hose to the fuel return fitting on the bottom of the tank.  I also attached a red balloon to the fuel supply fitting.  This time I made certain that the hose clamp fittings were really tight.  My first tank tests failed because the fitting on the air valve was loose.  I made sure that didn't happen again.  
 
 
For the retest I was not able to just install the fuel cap and be finished.  Since I have drilled vent holes in the fuel cap it is no longer air-tight.  I came up with what I consider to be an ingenious method of sealing the vent cap.  I cut the cuff portion of a nitrile glove I used when I sealed the tank with Pro-Seal.  I put the section of glove over the fuel cap and inserted it into the filler neck flange.  I closed the latch on the cap and proceeded to pressurize the tank.  I marked the time on the balloon – 2:45 pm.

At 5:40 pm I went into the shop to check the balloon.  Sometime during the time I was gone the balloon burst.  I attached a new blue balloon and repressurized the tank.  This time after the balloon was inflated I reduced the tank pressure.  I reduced it enough to decrease the size of the balloon but to leave it fully inflated.  I marked the time on the balloon – 5:45 pm.  I had a meeting at the Stake Center that lasted until after 9:00 pm.  When I returned home I checked on the balloon and it was still inflated.  
I checked the balloon again this morning before leaving for work.  After more than 12 hours it is still inflated.  I am calling that a successful leak test.  I feel confident the tank will hold fuel without leaking.