Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Modification of the Rear Baggage Bulkhead

 
This evening I continued to work on the rear baggage bulkhead modification.  I prepped the square back-up plate by drilling the holes for the nut plates.  I used the countersink to prep the holes for flush rivets.  As mentioned before, I will need corner nutplates for the top and bottom of the long leg.  I ordered some corner nutplates from Van's this afternoon.  I hope to have them by sometime next week.  I riveted the 6-K1000-8 nutplates to the aft side of the back-up plate.  I will rivet the corner nutplates when they arrive.
 
Next I cut the bulkhead panel into 2-pieces with the bandsaw.  I deburred and cleaned up the edges.  I then clecoed the small corner piece to the backup plate and used a couple of screws to attach the larger portion.  It fits and seems to work.  After I rivet the corner nutplates in place on the backup plate I will rivet the corner piece to the backup plate.  I don't want to do that until the corner nutplates are riveted on.