Monday, June 6, 2011

Flaperon Pushrods

 
 
This evening I fabricated and partially installed the flaperon pushrods.  The pushrods are made from AT6-058x3/4 aluminum tubing.  When making the control stick pushrods I mistakenly cut 7.75" off of the 6' piece of AT6-058x3/4 aluminum tubing sent by Van's.  That left me without enough material to make 2-34.625" pushrods.  Last week I ordered a 48" piece of tubing from Van's.  It arrived today so this evening I was able to cut 2-pushrods.  One out of the original piece of tubing and one out of the replacement piece I received today.  I deburred, prepped and primed the tubing and inserted the stud endcaps.  I drilled the ends and installed the rivets.
 
 I installed the bearings on the ends of each pushrod and tightened the nuts.  Next I installed them in the fuselage.  I bolted the foreword ends to the flaperon mixer bellcrank.  
The work space continues to get smaller and smaller but my hands don't seem to be shrinking in size.  I was forced to use my large curved forceps to hold the nut behind the bellcrank.  The pushrods extend from the bellcrank to the flaperon torque arms.  I used Krazy glue to attach washers to the inside of the torque arms where they attach to the bearing brackets.  Once again, I used the forceps to hold the nuts in place because I could not get my hand into the confined spaces.
 
Next the flaperon pushrods need to be attached to the torque arms.  I will do that at a future work session.