Monday, March 9, 2015

Blast Tube Relocation

I continue to see posts in VansAirForce form about voltage regulators failing.  I have printed off the recommendations for testing the system if the regulator seems to be out.  In addition I have been thinking about a better way to cool the regulator.  My thoughts are that if the blast tube from the shroud on top of the engine were relocated to the cowl duct it might provide a cooler air supply.  Also, if the attachment to the cowl duct is made so it is a scoop in the airstream it may improve the cooling effect.  I may be all wet, but I decided to try it out.  
For the scoop I purchased a ½” – 45o PVC slip fitting.  I removed the upper and lower cowlings.  I also disconnected the blast tube from the engine cooling shroud.  I inserted a plug and put RTV over it to seal the plug in place.
I drilled a hole in the top of the lower cowling duct tunnel about 6” in front of the damper.  I used JB Quick Weld to attach the slip fitting to the cowling.  I cut the end of the fitting into which the blast tube will fit with the band saw.  I cut the fitting so a screw clamp can compress the end of the fitting and hold the blast tube in place.  I put RTV around the end of the blast tube for a good seal to the fitting.  Now when the end of the tube is placed in the slip fitting and the clamp tightened it will not pull out.
I then mixed some epoxy resin, cut some fiberglass and laid up some fiberglass over the fitting to secure it to the cowling.  I put fiberglass on both the top and bottom of the fitting where it goes through the upper wall of the duct.  I will let the fiberglass cure overnight and reinstall the cowlings and connect the blast tube tomorrow.