Thursday, December 27, 2012

Engine Mounting Ring

This afternoon I installed the engine mounting ring on the Rotax.  First, I uncovered the engine and set the cooling shroud in place.  It think it will look good.
I then proceeded to install the engine mounting ring on the engine.  To begin with I removed the front bolts from the engine support angles.  I lifted the rear of the engine and placed a 2x4 block under the crank case.  I then used a small pair of channel locks to remove the 4-spring clamps from the water pump inlet and outlet on the water pump.  After cleaning up the coolant that drained from the hoses I proceeded to install the engine mount.  I placed tape on the legs of the engine mount to avoid scratching the powder coat as instructed.  As I began installing the mount it became obvious that I was not going to be able to get it in place without removing the electronics module mounting bracket I was not able to remove earlier.  By holding the metal end of the rubber shock absorber I was able to remove the bracket and attach it to the module.  With the bracket out of the way I was able to rotate the engine mount ring into place and make the attachment to the engine.  I had to go on line to look up the Rotax Illustrated Parts Catalog so I could find the torque values for the bolts holding the engine mount in place.  The bolts are to be torque to 30 ft. lbs.  After the engine mount was installed I put the 2x4 block under the front of the engine and clamped the ring down to the table to give the engine some stability.