Thursday, September 13, 2012

Fuel Shut-Off Valve and Fairing Brackets

This afternoon I decided to work on the fuel shut-off valve.  I have not been able to get the hole in the red ball handle lined up with the lever to the valve.  I removed the lever and by removing the screw from the red ball handle I was able to determine how deep the lever goes into the handle.  I drilled a #40 hole at the edge of the red ball.  I cut a piece of coat hanger wire and put it in the hole so it protrudes  1/32" on each side.  How when the red ball handle is placed on the lever it is at the correct depth to allow the screw to be installed.  I also painted the lever to match the interior color of the cockpit.  I installed the floor plate and installed the red ball handle.
I then installed the wheel fairing brackets on the main gear.  I jacked up the left side first.  I removed the wheel and axel. I then reinstalled the axel using the inboard mounting plate in place of the double washers.  I reinstalled the wheel and bearings.  I installed the outboard mounting system and both brackets.  I did the same on the right side.  Now I am ready to start the installation of the fairings.