Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Center Panel and Wheel Fairing Brackets

This afternoon I purchased a can of tennis balls.  I cut an 'X' in one of the balls and put it over the OAT Probe.  I think the tennis ball will offer better protection for the probe than the blue tape I had criss-crossed over the probe.
Over the last few weeks I have noticed that the carbon vinyl wrap on the instrument panel has shown signs of distress.  At the fastener locations, the vinyl seems to have twisted and puckered.  It was especially noticeable at the fasteners securing the switch module.  The center panel seems to be the worst affected.  I had already removed the center section.  I removed the carbon vinyl wrap from the center section.    I applied a new coat of primer on the edges and around all of the fastener holes.  I used another piece of the carbon vinyl wrap to recover the center section.  I used care to be certain the replacement piece of vinyl was in the same orientation as the old piece.  This time, because of previous experience I was able to get the vinyl to lay down fairly well.  I cut out the sections for the radio and the switch module.  Because the strip of vinyl was not wide enough to cover the whole section of panel, I spliced a section on the lower portion below the control attachment holes.  After adhering the vinyl to the panel and cutting out the radio and switch module sections I opened the fastener holes.  I will wait several days before reinstalling the center section in the airplane.  I want to allow the adhesive on the back of the vinyl to cure.
Next I turned my attention to the mail wheel fairing attaché brackets.  I removed the blue vinyl film and deburred the holes and edges.  I used the used the micro countersink to prepare the holes for riveting on the nutplates.  I clecoed the nutplates to the brackets.  Using the squeezer I riveted the nutplates to the brackets.  I then prepped the brackets for primer.  Next I primed the brackets and hung them up to dry.