Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Jack Stand and Lifting Fixture

I decided I would like to be able to jack up a gear leg for future annual inspections, to work on the brakes and the wheels in general.  I am going to have to remove the wheels  when I start the installation of the wheel pants and that could start anytime now.  I have worked on the jack stand and lifting fixture for the past week, a little time spent over several days.  After thinking about this process for the last year of so, and observing what others have done, I decided to make my own lifting fixture.  It is pretty simple.  I asked a sheet metal contractor I use to help me.  I had him bend a piece of 10 ga steel into a 'U' shape.  I gave him the dimensions and he cut and bent the steel plate to my design.  I also had him bend an angle piece and weld it to the 'U' shaped piece.  I obtained a piece of uncured neoprene from a roofing contractor we use and adhered it  to the inside of the 'U' with Plibond.  The bracket is constructed so it is 3-5/16" at the top of the opening and 3-3/16" at the bottom.  I painted the fixture yellow.  After making sure it works properly I decided to adhere a piece of neoprene to the jacking surface so the jack will not slip.  Here are some pictures of the finished device.

I also decided to make a stand for the jack.  I am using a 4 Ton hydraulic bottle jack I purchased from Harbor Freight.  It should be plenty good enough to lift a landing gear on the RV-12.  It is a little short to reach the  lifting fixture so I made a stand for the jack to sit on.  The stand was made by screwing 2-sections of 4x4 together.  I attached a handle to one end of the double 4x4.  From Home Depot I purchased some broom holder clips and screwed them to the double 4x4s along one edge.  This will hold the jack handle.  I used fender washers and 1" long screws to hold the jack to the double 4x4s.  It turned out the way I thought it would and it should be functional.  Time will tell if I have a good jacking and lifting solution.  
I also added a rope handle to my wheel chokes.