Friday, August 10, 2012

Install Wing Rack and Other Changes

This afternoon, with the help of Cameron, my grandson, I made some changes in the garage to increase the work space and parking space.  We started by pushing the fuselage outside on the driveway.  We then put the right wing and stabilator on the lawn.  At this point we were able to get rid of some of the 'stuff' leaning against the garage wall behind that wing rack that was just taking up space.  I brought the Army trailer home and we started throwing in the items to be discarded.  Items such as large sheets of cardboard collected over the years.  Scraps of lumber and pieces of left over plywood.  All in all we were able to gain several inches of space.
We took the ladder off of the wall and rearranged the storage shelf and some of the other things stored against and on the wall.  
Next we hung the new wing rack on the wall.  I put some screw eyes in the ceiling and used some #10 wire to make some hook supports.  These hooks go into screw eyes installed on the wing rack.  When the rack was ready we put the wing in place and hooked it to the ceiling.  We also reattached the ladder rack to the wall and some hooks to hold the portable flag pole.  With a little more rearranging we were able to get some additional space.  
At that point we started the process of cutting down the rolling wing rack.  I started by having Cameron cut the carpet strips off of the back side of the wing rack.  I used a hand saw to cut down the back leg, through the gussets and through the bottom 2x4 on each end.  We then removed the caster from the lower leg that had been removed and reinstalled it so it is below the vertical 2x4 which used to be in the center of the rack.  We then put the stabilator on the rack and then put the single wing back in place.  
The rack now rolls up to the wall and we have saved close to 2' of space.  While we were working we constructed a new table to use as an engine work table.  
It is the bottom section of my old painting station.  I cut the lower legs from the paint station a couple of weeks ago with the intent of using them to make a rolling engine work table.  By using the fold up ends to my large work table that I removed a couple of months ago, I was able to put a top on the new engine work stand.  This will allow me to put the engine on a table and move it around as needed.  I plan to order the engine in a week or two.  In the mean time it will site in the garage under the tail cone.
With all of the changes made in the garage and the increased space (not really as much as I would have liked to gain) I will start working on the installation of the engine cowling and the wheel pants.  That will pretty much complete the work on the finishing kit and I will be ready to start working on the engine