Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Remount AST Servo

With the change over to the Skyview there are some changes being made in the airplane.  One of the changes offered, but not required, is new electrical connections and mounting of the AST servo.  The spade connectors are replaced by a Molex connection block.  I ordered the conversion kit from Vans and it arrived several days ago.  
 
This evening I started to make the change.  I removed the screws and brackets holding the servo to the mounting tray.  I also removed the bolt attaching the servo trim assembly to the rear bulkhead.  I removed the various grommets and removed the tray.  
I then made the new servo mounting tray from the parts provided.  I separated the parts and deburred the edges and holes.  I then used a Scotch Brite pad and prepped the parts for primer.  I primed them and allowed the primer to dry.   
 
 
 
While the primer was drying I attached one of the wires to one of the new connector pins.  They are really small.  I used my Molex crimping tool and attached one of the female ends to a wire.  I almost need a magnifying glass to see what I am doing.  These parts are very small.  I am holding some of the connectors in my hand and you can see just how small they are, or maybe it is how large my hands are.
After the parts dried I remounted and reassembled the servo to the servo tray.  I will need to finish the crimping of the male and female pins to the wires.