Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Interior Paint and Control Sticks

 
 
I masked off the inside of the left air vent attachment.  I sprayed a coat of the interior finish.  These sections will be visible through the mesh over the vent area.  I also sprayed some finish on the step bulkhead reinforcement angles.  These will show through the bulkhead covering.

 
I installed the PTT switches (push-to-talk) and hand grips on the control sticks.  Instead of buying bicycle hand grips I purchased some stick grips from the Ray Allen Company.  Other RV-12 builders have indicated these are high quality grips and PTT switches.  Another builder had to replace the PTT from Vans so I decided to go with the Ray Allen grips out of the chute.   I cut off the pre-wired switches and soldered the wires to the Ray Allen switches.  
 
I had to install the PTT switches into the top of the stick grips with tiny little Phillips head screws.  I then pulled the wires through the control sticks.  I used a vacuum to pull a string through the tube and then pulled the wires.   The first stick went together pretty easily.  The second did not want to let the wires pull through.  It took several different attempts to get the wires around the bends and up through the top of the stick.  I finally got them finished.  The control sticks are now ready to be installed in the airplane.