Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Organize and Set Up Shop

 
 
I spent a couple of hours organizing and setting up the shop.  Moving from the spaciousness of the warehouse into the confines of the shop and garage are going to take some real adjustments.  I have managed to find a place for almost everything.  There is going to be a lot of moving things in and out, back and forth, etc., to make things work out.  For instance, at the shop I had a full 14' of work bench.  Here my work bench is about 9' long and it will be shared by the bench vise and grinder, the band saw and the drill press.  That will necessitate much of the moving in and out and back and forth.  
 
I have been able to store many parts under the work table, but I have determined I must cut the table down in height so it will be difficult to get all of the parts back under the table.  I have stored some of the fiberglass fairings on a shelf in the back of the garage.  I have the bubble canopy and engine cowling pieces in the shop.  Until I start putting these parts on the airplane quarters in the shop are going to be crowded.  Of course when they are on the airplane the garage work area will be crowded.  I don't think there is an easy solution to the space problem.  The next step in the build process is to install the wings.  I am planning to cut the work table down by about 6" before I start on the wing attachment.  It will take some extra people to make the wing attachment possible.  I will probably wait until I can get Tim and the younger boys to come and help before I do that.  I also added some fluorescent fixtures in the garage.  The lighting is now much better for working on the airplane.