Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Attacched Skin to Vert Stab



I prepared the main VS skin and the forward skin for installation. I removed the tabs as called for on the drawings. I final drilled the #19 holes and deburred. I deburred the edges of the skins, dimpled the #19 holes for #8 screws. Also dimpled and began installing the platenuts. I had a problem with one of the flush rivets and it became necessary to drill it out and replace it. As you can see below, these are small rivets.

I removed the blue vinyl film and began to cleco the skin to the framework. After getting the holes lined up at the tips of the ribs, all of the holes fell into line. I was able to cleco one side, then turned the whole assembly over and started clecoing the skin on the other side. The holes continued to line up without any trouble. Scott Smith took my picture while I was installing clecos.

I took Scott's picture as he installed a cleco. We are a couple of real aircraft manufactures.