Wednesday, September 2, 2015

SV-KNOB-PANEL CONTINUED

Today I finished the installation of the auto pilot control module.  I drilled and countersunk the holes for the nutplates then cut out the panel with my Dremmel tool.  I had to file the opening slightly to get the module to fit in the opening.  I installed the nutplates using some flush pulled rivets.  
I installed the module and powered up the system.  I had to have SkyView find and then configure the SV-KNOB-PANEL.  After the set up was complete I turned on the SkyView system and it was there.  I was able to set the altitude and heading bugs as well as adjust the Barro.  I closed the hangar doors and checked to make sure the backlighting is working.  It is and now the unit is ready to go flying.
After installing the new placards I decided to try out the panel.  I got the airplane out and did a pre-flight.  I got in, started the engine and went up for a quick flight.  I did a couple of touch-and-goes then headed south to Herriman.  I flew over Herriman then headed north.  The wind at the time was reported 150o at 18kts with gusts to 22kts so it was a little bumpy flying over the foothills west of the airport.  I flew up to Magna then noticed a big dust cloud east of Antelope Island.  I decided to head back to U42 in case it was heading south.  While flying over Harriman and then north to Magna I turned on the autopilot.  All of the functions work perfectly.  It is nice to be able to adjust the barometer, altitude and track/heading without selecting these functions first on the SkyView menu.  
All in all this is a really nice feature and I am glad I installed the panel.