Wednesday, May 8, 2013

I HAVE A HANGAR

This afternoon I met with Matt Jensen of the Salt Lake City Department of Airports.  I signed a lease on a 'T' hangar at South Valley Regional Airport in West Jordan.  I have been on the waiting list for 3-years and I was beginning to think this day would never come, but it did!  The lease officially begins the 15th of May, but Matt told me I could go and look at the hangar today and put the lock on the door.  He told me I can make some electrical changes if I would like to, but I need to let them know what I am doing before I do so.  Any improvements made to the hanger are to remain when I move out, so they won't be extensive.  I am going to check with my electracian to see about adding an overhead light and one more electrical outlet.  Anything else I do will just be free standing stuff like a work bench, storage shelves, tools, my compressor, etc.  The hangar is located on the north end of the facility, Row C #12.  
Arlene took these photos during our visit to the hangar that evening.
It was a bit o f an ordeal to get everything done.  I had to have some training before they could issue my badge.  The badge opens the electronic gate and authorizes me to be in the secure area of the airport.  I had to take the hanger lessee training for security and FOD (foreign object debris) to make sure I understand the need to keep  trash and debris from blowing around the airport.  Good stuff but a little common sense goes a long way in solving any challenges here.

I had doubts this day would ever arrive, but it has.  I am planning to move the wings and empennage to the hangar and put the engine cowling on here at home.  At that point I will move the whole thing to the hanger along with the tools and supplies.

Now that I have sold Mom's house in Orem and moved her to Boise I hope to have more time to devote to getting N419AJ finished and in the air!