Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Trim and Fill Fiberglass

   
 This evening I used the trim template to mark the fiberglass shroud.  I used my Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel to cut along the mark line.  It worked very well.  I then used a sanding block to sand to the trim line.  I put a small (1/2") diameter sanding drum in the Dremel tool and opened the pivot bolt holes in the support arms.  On initial inspection the right opening is good.  I may have to work on the left bolt hole.  The washer fits into the right opening perfectly.  I have not tried the left opening yet, but I have a feeling it will not be as good a fit.
  I mixed a small batch of epoxy resin and added some black colorant and some micro-balloons.  Using a Bondo squeegee I started to fill the low spots on the shroud.  This is the first pass.  It will take some additional material to fill the voids and smooth the surface.  Right now the filler is a little on the rough side, but I can sand it out after it cures.  I also worked on the pivot bolt holes.  I filled the voids behind the fiberglass.  I used a popsicle stick with the end cut to a wedge to help fill, shape and clean-up the holes.  I think with a little more work they will be fine.