Saturday, March 10, 2012

Canopy Continues

 
This afternoon I discovered some additional unexpected fiberglass resin problems.  Before the resin was set up it did an little running.  Some resin seeped out of the slots in the support arms and puddled around the pads on the clamps.  When I removed the clamps I found some smears of hardened resin and a slight run.  I decided to sand the inside of the support arms and recoat them with black Hammertone. 
 
I carefully masked off the areas surrounding the arms.  
 
Next I sprayed them with the black Hammer-tone paint.  They look pretty good again.
 
After the paint dried I masked the inside of the support arms and then had Arlene help me set the canopy in place on the fuselage.  I also found a small drip (run) of resin on the corner of the canopy bow on the left side next to the plexiglass canopy.  There is another blob and run of resin on the rear canopy frame.  I will address these at a later date.
 
 
I took some shots of the inside.  All you can see is the masking of the fuselage and instrument panel but at least is shows some progress.
 
I also took a couple of pictures of the fuselage with the canopy back in place.  I am getting excited again about moving the build forward.  The weather has been steadily improving.  Right now it is 61 degrees.  If this keeps up I will be able to put the fiberglass surround on the canopy when we get back from Gilbert.  We are flying Southwest to Gilbert tomorrow.  We will be there until next Saturday.  I attended the EAA Chapter 23 meeting Friday night and had a chance to speak with Tom Driscoll.  Tom is building an RV-12 also.  From the sound of things we are pretty much at the same point in the build.  We have both ordered the Avionics kit and are waiting for the kits to be shipped.  I will need to go out to his place sometime and see what he has accomplished.